DigitalEro Offline

Keeping the Vertex Weights.

Wed, 13 Feb 2013 14:23:26

Undyingbroccoli

Here I am again, requesting the aid of the Digitalero community's riggers. A quick question this time. Is there a way to keep all the vertex weights from models I decompile with the mdldecompiler? Some of weights are still there (the red ones, those with heavy influence 1,0) but the smooth weights are gone (the orange / blue areas).
Wed, 13 Feb 2013 14:32:24

FigureSculptor

It would help if you posted some more specifics about the tools and process you're using. Are you using the CannonFodder's MDLDecompiler, or something else? Which 3D program and importer (along with versions) are you using to import them?
Wed, 13 Feb 2013 21:00:23

Undyingbroccoli

"FigureSculptor" said ...
It would help if you posted some more specifics about the tools and process you're using. Are you using the CannonFodder's MDLDecompiler, or something else? Which 3D program and importer (along with versions) are you using to import them?
Ah of course, sorry. I am using CannonFodder's MDLDecompiler yea, the "fixed" version as well. Mainly I am using 3DS Max for the rigging. The plugin that I am currently using is CannonFodder's Imp/Exp SMD. I've used Wunderboy's before but it's the same problem there. Is there any other MDLDecompiler that is better?
Wed, 13 Feb 2013 22:41:13

FigureSculptor

I don't know of another decompiler besides CannonFodder's. It's actually surprised me that another one hasn't been created, since CannonFodder doesn't seem to be updating or maintaining his any more, and even the "fixed" version has been at least a couple years without an update. But, I don't think the problem has anything to do with MDL Decompiler. I just tried decompiling the Ashley Nude model into Blender using io-smd-tools. As you can see, there are vertex weights. Blender uses red for 1.0, blue for 0.0, and shades of yellow and green for numbers in between. These weights look pretty good to me. So, I think we can rule out MDLDecompiler as the problem. That means it's your import script, or 3DS Max itself. I wish I could help more, but I don't really use 3DS Max. I've got a several year old copy on my hard drive (v9 I think), but I only use it when I want to convert a .max or .fbx file. Wish I could be more help. :(
Wed, 13 Feb 2013 23:11:26

Undyingbroccoli

"FigureSculptor" said ...
I don't know of another decompiler besides CannonFodder's. It's actually surprised me that another one hasn't been created, since CannonFodder doesn't seem to be updating or maintaining his any more, and even the "fixed" version has been at least a couple years without an update. But, I don't think the problem has anything to do with MDL Decompiler. I just tried decompiling the Ashley Nude model into Blender using io-smd-tools. As you can see, there are vertex weights. Blender uses red for 1.0, blue for 0.0, and shades of yellow and green for numbers in between. These weights look pretty good to me. So, I think we can rule out MDLDecompiler as the problem. That means it's your import script, or 3DS Max itself. I wish I could help more, but I don't really use 3DS Max. I've got a several year old copy on my hard drive (v9 I think), but I only use it when I want to convert a .max or .fbx file. Wish I could be more help. :(
You know what, it's indirectly thanks to this that I finally figured it out. I hadn't paid much attention to the MDLDecompiler, always thought it was something wrong with the program I've been using. There was one little check-box which was called "Dump Old Unweighted SMD's". Which was Checked. Simply unchecking this solved the problem. Yea, I am a total noob, but due to that post, you set me on the right track and probably saved me hours of trying to fetch a new Importer/Exporter which would've lead me to nothing :)!
Thu, 14 Feb 2013 04:29:39

FigureSculptor

"Undyingbroccoli" said ...
You know what, it's indirectly thanks to this that I finally figured it out. I hadn't paid much attention to the MDLDecompiler, always thought it was something wrong with the program I've been using. There was one little check-box which was called "Dump Old Unweighted SMD's". Which was Checked. Simply unchecking this solved the problem. Yea, I am a total noob, but due to that post, you set me on the right track and probably saved me hours of trying to fetch a new Importer/Exporter which would've lead me to nothing :)!
Heh. Well… glad I could accidentally be of help. Yeah, there's three checkboxes. I've only ever even looked at one of them (the one that turns off Steam access requirement)